• |
  • |
16.03.2010
Print  

MEG in Epilepsy

Epilepsy is one of the most common neurological diseases. In many cases no apparent reason is known for the initial cause of the disease. In other cases head injuries, tumors or other developmental abnormalities could be the cause for epilepsy.   
It is know that approximately 1% of the world's population suffer from epilepsy. 

In about 70% of the epilepsy patients, anti-epileptic drugs help control the disease, and live a proper seizureless lifestyle. In the remaining 30% of epileptic patients, other therapeutic alternatives are considered. Such alternatives include surgery. 

Epilepsy surgery is an operation in which the neurosurgeon removes the epileptic focal in the brain. The surgical procedure is meant to prevent any future seizing of the patient, and help control the disease. 
which takes the part of the brain neurosurgeon who it comes from epilepsy - epileptic focus. Surgical treatment is to prevent epileptic seizures. 
Every neurosurgery, and especially epilepsy surgery is carefully considered, thus many structural tests and imaging procedures help reach to proper neurosurgic decion. It is a useful method of imaging even in cases where no epileptic seizures occur. 

MEG is considered, nowadays, one of the most important means in determinting whether to operate or not. 

Find out more about the MEG exam 

 *The information on this site is not a substitute for physician consultation